This photograph is a true mystery for me. I can’t identify the sitter of this photograph even though there is so much information to work with:
- He’s identified on the print as Pvt. John Illiano of the 102nd Ambulance Company
- He’s sporting a 26th Division uniform with at least 1 1/2 years overseas service
- He was one of the first 100,000 US soldiers to enlist (conjecture based on star)
- He’s most likely from New England at the time of enlistment
- Probably Italian-American
I found a digital scan of this photo on War Relics Forum, a site dedicated to WWII artifact research. The OP of this photo, MD Helmets, doesn’t have any additional information but did claim he/she purchased it from Bay State Militaria back in 2013.
What do you guys think? Any leads?